fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Friday, April 15, 2005

Book Review: Fat Girl by Judith Moore

This is a memoir by a woman who grew up fat as well as abandoned by her father and emotionally and physically abused by her mother and grandmother. In other words, it's not light reading! In fact, it's sort of torture reading it. She drew me in with her first sentence. Out with a man who she had a crush on, drinking, he said to her, "You're too fat to f__k." Hearing similar incidents from her adulthood told so directly made her feel to me, as another fat woman, like a friend. For instance, she told of a time when a picture was taken of her while she was out and about and feeling pretty. She then saw the picture and had a panic attack. She was shocked at how fat she looked. Ms. Moore is an excellent writer and her vivid descriptions of the reality of fat phobia, internal and external, are likely to resonate with anyone fat. After getting to like her and feeling comfortable with the book, she took me inside her horribly abusive and terribly lonely childhood. If the book had started out with this, I don't know if I would have continued, but I already liked her, so I joined her as she detailed a very nice girl with lots of bad luck. It's a fascinating story, and I particularly liked the descriptions of her father, Ham, another fat person who struggled in life because of his weight. She details the trauma of an early childhood divorce, parental abandonment, life with a narcissistic mother, and a tormented school experience. It's a great generational family history, very engaging and well-told. There is only one happy time in her life and that it is a brief period in which she is sent to her gay uncle's home due to her grandmother's illness. Here she is for the first time in her life treated kindly, and she loves it! Her intensely detailed description of helping her uncle prepare for a gay dinner party is wondrous, moreso because it is a moment of beauty in an otherwise awful childhood. Of course, when her mother returns, the abuse is back, much worse than before. While Ham and her uncle -the men- are likable interesting characters, the women, Grandma and Mom, are cruel and evil. This doesn't seem to be the spin of Ms. Moore; it just seems to be the way it was. After desribing her worse and worse childhood, Ms. Moore never returns to telling us about her adulthood, and at the end of the story, we find out that she has two grown daughters and that she lives alone in California with her dog. She is still fat and a successful writer. This book was given very positive reviews by David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs and was also reviewed in the NY Times Book Review. At the end of the book she also asks the reader not to feel sorry for her. I felt more angry at her than sorry for her. Others in the phat community have expressed some similar sentiments. Her self-hatred, especially of her body, is unbearable at times and an insult for other fat people to read. Furthermore, if a memoir of a fat woman were to become popular in the mainstream, I would prefer it to be something more size-positive. While this book is said to be darkly funny, it really isn't. The author is witty but it's too tragic to be anything that I would think of as funny. Some say that the book is so popular in the mainstream because the general public prefers to hear of a fat woman who hates herself, rather than one who is fat positive in any way. I don't plan to save this book but do think it's worthy to give to a fat friend. One of the reasons that Ms. Moore said that she wrote this book is because there aren't books out there about being fat that tell it like it is, lots of pain and no happy ending. I do agree that she fills a niche but the humorous, uplifting memoir, "Skinny Women are Evil" by Mo'nique, is the book that finds a permanent place on my bookshelf.

10 Comments:

At Friday, April 15, 2005 7:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful book review. You take in the writing, the personal, the political--a tour de force of reviewing! B

 
At Friday, April 15, 2005 7:51:00 PM, Blogger Jayla said...

Thanks, Mom!!! Reading the book sure did make me appreciate having such a loving mother!

 
At Friday, April 15, 2005 7:53:00 PM, Blogger Jayla said...

Fat!So? by Marilyn Wann is great as is Camryn Manheim's book, Wake Up, I'm Fat! And you've got to read Mo'nique's book!

 
At Saturday, April 16, 2005 2:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for thanking me! Here's a pip of a dream for you: Jeff has a blog called Shock and Awe. It's also a newspaper. We're married, and I get the paper and start reading it, but he comes toward our bedroom, and I stuff it under a pillow. He's going to have some medical procedure the next day for which he takes big pills in preparation, maybe to calm him down. The maid from my childhood, Louise Blanton, tells me she's read the blog, and Karen enters comments every so often. I get the blog ("Shock and Awe") on my computer, and it starts with Jeff describing himself as "a hollow man." It's not very juicy. The Jeff comes in and says he found the newspaper I stuffed behind the pillow, and this is bad timing because he has this med. procedure tomorrow. I say, "Don't worry. You're a free man now. You don't have to sneak." I'm very relieved and think now I can sleep at Mag's in NYC with the kids (younger) with me and he won't bug me about that or anything else. B

 
At Saturday, April 16, 2005 2:49:00 PM, Blogger Jayla said...

Wow, Mums, that sure is a pip of a dream! Thank you so much for sharing it! I love it! Do you have any analysis for it???

 
At Saturday, April 16, 2005 6:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,
Thanks for the bad review, I can save myself the time. I can't even tell you how many reviews I've seen for Fat Girl, I was thinking maybe I should jump on that boat, but no thanks. I did just finish this great memoir last week though, it's called The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells. It's a very quick read, lots of juicy details about her wacky family, it will make you appreciate Barb even more! Mia

 
At Saturday, April 16, 2005 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Jayla said...

Wacky family? Memoir? Sounds like my type of book! I always appreciate recs for memoirs. Thanks. Glad my review was helpful. I passed it on to a fat friend today and told her to pass it along to someone else when she was done :)

 
At Monday, April 18, 2005 12:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't figure out the dream, except, my recent tax bill gave me "shock and awe" until a mistake got figured out. Maybe shock is bad and awe is good like thinking I had thyroid cancer and then finding out I didn't. B

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:13:00 AM, Blogger sk8rn said...

Wow. I guess I won't read that one after your final comments. But I'd love to read a review of the book you mention in the last sentence that you liked.

 
At Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard of these books at all, but i'm definately going to be visiting the library later today to see if they have any of them. The reviews i've read are excellant and really compell me to want to read them

 

Post a Comment

<< Home