fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Movie Review: Hide and Seek (Genre: Horror)

Those who don't like horror movies are an enigma to me. As far as I'm concerned, there is no decent excuse for not liking horror movies, except for PTSD (i.e. some history of abuse that makes horror movies too upsetting).

First, let me assure you that I will not give anything away in this movie review. Now, let's get down to business. This movie stars Dakota Fanning, the adorable little girl child star with an enchanting toothy smile and giggle. Her name in the movie is "Emily" and she's startling similar to the character, "Emily the Strange." She does an excellent acting job, as does her co-star, Robert De Niro, who plays her father, "David." The movie has all the elements of a good horror flick and uses them well:

1) a move from New York City to a house in the country, including a suspicious realtor
2) a wicked local sheriff
3) creepy neighbors who bring over a pie
4) an inexplicable ability for the starring family to live in a mansion without working
5) a psychiatric hospital
6) creepy children's drawings
7) an imaginary friend
8) writing in blood on a shower curtain
9) dolls
10) a twist ending that got me

This movie might not be one to watch over and over, but it flowed perfectly and was very suspenseful. Best line from the movie: "Some things are beyond therapy, David."

4 Comments:

At Monday, February 07, 2005 4:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds creepy all right! I don't usually "get" horror movies--they don't scare me, generally, because I'm too defended: I keep thinking, "It's not real." B

 
At Tuesday, February 08, 2005 12:15:00 PM, Blogger sk8rn said...

Being prone to anxiety (especially this week), I'm not sure I'll be up to a horror anytime soon. Though the Emily the Strange likeness and that *awesome* line may entice me to check it out after midterms are over. :-)

 
At Wednesday, February 09, 2005 11:15:00 AM, Blogger Kerry said...

Is this movie better than "Godsend"? Because Godsend really sucked. Also, Jenny, check out The Bloginator for some real nasty anti-gay propaganda I found on the net. Its extemely disturbing, more so than any horror movie. Otherwise, I am doing fine.

 
At Wednesday, February 09, 2005 8:55:00 PM, Blogger Kerry said...

My fave TV:all A & E Channel shows, Star Trek Voyager and TNG, Buffy, The L Word

 

Post a Comment

<< Home