fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Favorite Movies

A Question to Readers for the Comments section: What are five movies you like a lot? Here are ten of my favorite with commentary. You can comment on my commentary and/or answer my questions if you like :-)

1. Hannah and her Sisters
I like a lot of old Woody Allen movies, and this is one of my favorite. Do you like Woody Allen movies? I know it's controversial to like his movies.

2. In a Year of Thirteen Moons
This is a Fassbinder movie that is very long and dark. It is about a woman who used to be a man, but got a sex change in order to earn the affection of a man whom she has a crush on. However, the man still doesn't like her too much and is somewhat neglectful and abusive. She has ruined her life because she is poor and left her wife and daughter to pursue this man. In the end she kills herself. This is John Waters' favorite movie (another controversial director who I like). Do you like John Waters? How about Fassbinder?

3. Life is Sweet
This is a Mike Leigh movie, long, dark, and comedic...slow-paced. Do you like Mike Leigh movies?

4. The Bad Seed
This is an old movie and the first to show a child commit murder. It is about a little girl who has a seductive relationship with her father. Her father goes away for a stint in the army. The mother has a kind heart and becomes increasingly concerned that the girl is a bad seed, an evil child. This movie isn't a horror movie, by the way. This movie is quite popular in the gay male community as a camp movie the way Mommy Dearest is. This movie touches on how I feel. I ID w/the little girl.

5. Rosemary's Baby
I ID w/Mia Farrow in this.

6. Ma Vie En Rose (My Life in Pink)
This is a French movie about a little trans boy. It's quite beautiful.

7. The Lonely Guy
This is a comedy about Steve Martin looking for love. I ID w/feeling lonely and think it is a sweet movie.

8. Crumb
I enjoyed this doc about R. Crumb, cartoonist, and found it to be feminist.

9. Female Trouble
This is an old John Waters movie. I like his old stuff the best. I like how subversive this movie is. I also consider it feminist as well.

10. The Grinch
This was fun to see on the big screen. I like Jim Carey when he is funny, and ID w/the lonely Grinch. It's also a very pretty movie.

4 Comments:

At Monday, January 24, 2005 4:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love Woody Allen movies and John Waters. That Waters is just so original and he introduced me to my favorite drag queen, Divine may she rest in peace. Female Trouble was so wacky! I always forget it when I write my favorite movies. I loved it! Ooh Ma Vie En Rose. It was so sad but I loved it. That was a truly great movie. Here's my list. :

1.Wigstock - Who doesn't love drag? Eveytime I see this flick I get excited.
2.Victor Victoria- Actually anything with Julie Andrews. She's addictive.
3.Monty Python and the Holy Grail- It was so damn funny!
4. Hairspray- I miss the fat Ricky Lake. I've seen that movie a million times over and I still love it each time.
5. Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood- It's the Wayans doing comedy right. I also reccomend I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

mejestick

 
At Monday, January 24, 2005 6:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guilty pleasure movies: "Power" (fascinates me, turns me on, definitely a B minus piece of joy); Boiler Room- ditto; also some bad-good oldies like Mrs. Miniver (Joan C.) and Babe (the pig). B

 
At Monday, January 24, 2005 6:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if we're talking about good movies: the Philadelphia Story, Crimes and Misdemeaners, Interiors, Every thing You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex, David and Lisa, The Graduate, Songcatcher, Andy Worhol's movies, really almost all woodY's, lots of John Water's, more oldies like The Trial, The Stranger, Knife in the Water, The Battle of Algiers. God I love movies! I've gotten into the habit of always getting popcorn--now can't see a movie without it. Also sometimes go to something I won't like, but need the popcorn. B

 
At Tuesday, January 25, 2005 8:35:00 PM, Blogger sk8rn said...

I got so busy putting all of your favorites on my Netflix queue that I haven't given thought to my own. Let's see... Here are a few:

All About My Mother (or any Almodovar flick)
Freeway
Barb Wire
Secretary
Titanic (I can't help it!)
Unbearable Lightness of Being (or anything with Juliette Binoche)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home