fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Compliments

Recently one of my patients complimented me. I thought I would write about it because I tend to forget compliments immediately and instead dwell on criticism. A teenage girl came in and said, "I like you, Jennifer." I smiled. She said, "I mean I really like you. You've helped me a lot. You are someone I can talk to. You're a counselor but you're hip too." I nodded in agreement with this. I am a hip therapist! I decided to go with the compliment instead of gloss over it and asked, "How have I helped you?" She said, "Well, I haven't heard voices for months now. When I get anxious, I come talk to you about the problem or think about what we've talked about, and I feel better." She's one of my favorite patients, and she is doing a lot better. Usually when I get a compliment, from anyone, not just from a patient, I start talking or change the subject. I think it's good to be silent in case the person wants to extend the compliment or even inquire more, like I did above. How do you handle the situation when you get a compliment?

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 29, 2004 5:43:00 PM, Blogger Jayla said...

Sometimes I verbally diagree with the compliment as a response. But I know that's not a good thing. Thanks for the moniker idea!

 
At Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a hip therapist, and a hip daughter, too.

What a great idea: to really hear a compliment and think about it.

Uncle David read your blog and said, "I'm always for the 'ax' to fall, and wondering about the 'other part of the agenda.'"

 
At Sunday, January 02, 2005 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Melaina RN, PHN, MS, CNS, ACHPN said...

I am terrible about accepting compliments. THough I think it depends on what the compliment is on. If it is something I feel particularly insecure about, I"ll downright disagree with them ie "No, that's not true. But thanks for saying it is." I think I'm a little better about accepting some compliments on things that I feel more confident about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home