fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Friday, August 20, 2004

There But for the Grace of Gawd Go I...

This morning I got onto the express train to go to work, and I sat down on the bench seat closest to the door. Suddenly I heard terrified screaming and turned my head to see that a woman had stepped one foot onto the train but the other leg had shot fully down into the gap between the track waiting platform and the subway floor. The train was about to leave the station the moment before she'd attempted to get on, so she was screaming the way one would when there's a chance one's leg is about to get chopped off. It reminded me of the time I heard a dog screaming/crying right after it was hit by a car. To add to the horror, she was desperately trying to pull her leg out but the position she was in made it impossible. A man on the platform yelled out, "He knows you're there!" That was probably the most comforting thing she could have heard. Then a few men pulled her up and she stayed on the floor panting. Of course this all happened within seconds, frozen seconds. The subway staff ushered everyone else onto a local train across the platform. As the local train made its stops I looked at that leg sized gap between the platform and the subway floor and thought, "I better make sure to look down every time I get on or off a train."

5 Comments:

At Sunday, August 22, 2004 8:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a true big apple story--scary, yet comforting. b

 
At Monday, August 23, 2004 2:48:00 AM, Blogger buzzwig said...

August 20 was my birthday. I had a great time overall, but it seemed like everyone was going through unusual amounts of drama with relationships. First know that my romantic life is in a static to nonexistent state for the last six years. OK, so my roomate got dumped by his girlfriend, who I get along with very well. So well in fact that she told me that she was going to dump him. She had intended to wait until the next day, but made the mistake of telling him that they had to talk about something. So in the middle of the evening, while my friends and I were smiling, playing pool and hanging out, they were having a long, intense discussion and my roomate got up and left. Later, a coworker showed up and a guy she had a fling not long ago with was there and she acted very affected by it. Making it clearly observable that she was preoccupied and in deep thought, like that. Then, thank God, another friend showed up as happy as a puppy and told me how incredibly great her new, fun, happy relationship was. I'm so glad I could just ignore it all, aside from some of the pantingly happy stuff from the last one, and go on about my single-and-not-looking-merry way.

 
At Monday, August 23, 2004 2:51:00 AM, Blogger buzzwig said...

Oh, sorry to post what is basically a blog entry on your comments, but I don't have a blog that those people don't read. And I just needed to vent a little.

 
At Monday, August 23, 2004 2:51:00 AM, Blogger buzzwig said...

Oh, sorry to post what is basically a blog entry on your comments, but I don't have a blog that those people don't read. And I just needed to vent a little.

 
At Monday, August 23, 2004 11:46:00 PM, Blogger sk8rn said...

Jenny, how terrifying your story was! And so suspenseful! I'm glad that woman didn't lose her leg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home