fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Friday, August 06, 2004

Opening Night

Tonight I saw the movie Open Water. It was sold out so I got a ticket for She Hate Me and actually went to Open Water. She Hate Me is the offensive Spike Lee movie so I was glad to use it to my advantage (playing right next to Open Water at the same time). I love going to movies by myself because I can come in at the last minute and still get a good seat. I sat next to two African American, gay men. That is why I love New York! One rested his head on the other's shoulder for the whole movie. Somehow having the two of them next to me reminded me of being with my two cats. The one leaning his head on the other's shoulder was a tiny guy who tucked his arms into his sleeves. Adorable! Behind me was a father and his teenage and young kids. The woman in the movie has a gratuitous naked shot and the young kids were like, "Nasty! Ewww!" The father was like, "Your mom's gonna kill me!" They talked during the movie and had their cell phone ring but the talking was quiet and sporadic, so no one seemed bothered (I wasn't). The comments were obvious: "A shark is coming" etc. After the movie I listened to people discuss the movie (another perk of attending alone). One man said, "It was a feel bad movie" and he sighed. I liked the movie a lot. The ending was particularly good. Shall I give it away? The woman is surrounded by sharks and so instead goes underwater and disappears, the implication being that she has drowned herself. The water is then still. The little girl behind me said excitedly at this point, "She's swimming back to shore!" The gay couple and I glanced at each other when she said this, and we giggled nervously.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, August 07, 2004 9:43:00 AM, Blogger sk8rn said...

Sounds like an interesting film. I'm wondering if I saw a preview for this. Was the entire film about two people abandoned at sea floating around aimlessly in life jackets? Or is that another film that I'm thinking of?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home