fatandhappy

Fat and Happy is a journal of writing about daily happenings as well as whatever I feel like writing about. Thanks in advance for any comments from you!

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving at Candle Cafe

BB and I had a very pleasant Thanksgiving together. Last night we had the prix fixe Thanksgiving from Vegetarian Paradise 2 and weren't too impressed. Today, though, we had a lovely prix fixe vegan Thanksgiving meal at Candle Cafe. We had a reservation for 4pm, so it was nice to have all that free time beforehand. We both slept in and watched a DVR-ed Oprah with the sex addicts in rehab with Dr. Drew (I mean, the sex addicts weren't with us watching- they were the guests on Oprah's show). Then at Candle Cafe we had the following meals:

BB:

Butternut Squash soup with cinnamon foam

Grilled Artichoke with trumpet royal mushrooms, celeriac puree & balsamic reduction

Pomegranate grilled tofu, cornbread stuffing, haricots verts amandine, roasted maple dijon squash

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE with vanilla cream


Jennifer:

Jerusalem Artichoke soup

Arugula Salad with local pears, roasted baby turnips, almond-pumpkin cheese,

pomegranate & cranberry dressing

Pumpkin Grilled Seitan with roasted shallot-potato mash, sautéed brussels sprouts,

cranberry-tart cherry relish & marsala-pumpkin sauce, cornbread stuffing

APPLE-CRANBERRY CRUMB PIE with vanilla ice cream


It was very filling and delicious. I found myself in my mind feeling like I was a judge from Top Chef. Once one has logged in such a high number of hours watching it, it's hard not to think that way. In my mind I made a scathing criticism of one of the soups (the butternut squash soup with the cinnamon foam) and imagined the chef experiencing devastation over it. "Pack your knives!" I imagined myself saying with conviction and pity. I also exalted one of the deserts, imagining that I could give the chef a week in Italy and 30K for perfecting the desert (It was BB's pumpkin cheesecake btw.).


During dinner we talked about planning for moving. We will be moving on Monday, December 28th (I think), and our new address will be:


309 West 93rd St. Apt. 2C

New York, NY 10025


I also convinced BB to play "Get to Know Me." I made this game up long ago based on a Saturday Night Live bit by Jon Lovitz. It involves the two people asking each other questions with the goal of getting to know each other better. I like it because it stimulates conversation and also allows people who know each other very well to get to know little things that they never knew about each other before. So if you ever want to get on my good side, offering to play the game with me goes a long way. Most people don't want to play it because they say, "I don't want to have to think of questions. Let's just relax." BB indulged me today. Thanks, BB!


Well, BB wants to finish the Oprah on sex addiction so I better get going. Hope everyone is having a good day!

1 Comments:

At Friday, April 22, 2011 1:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accidentally deleted my last 25 comments which were on my last 4 posts I believe. Ugh, hate that :)
Jennynyc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home